Welcome

As of November 4th 2010, we will be traveling from Vancouver British Columbia to Sierra Leone West Africa for a two week adventure. This will likely be the most exotic trip we have taken to date. Sierra Leone is described as a beautiful albeit poor country in the midst of change as it emerges from years of civil war. The Jones family has been involved in the funding for construction of a school in a small town called Mabureh 50Km outside of the capital city of Freetown. As part of our journey through Sierra Leone, we will visit the school and film a short documentary in support of further school construction. This blog will serve to share our African experience with all who may be interested. Thanks. Scott Norrena & Tamara Jones

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Camera and Sound Package


It took me a while to finalize the camera package. If I had a few more thousand dollars I would change / add a few things. Here's the package:

two camera bodies: a 5Dmk11, & 7D. Each camera has unique features. The 5D has a full size sensor for beautiful resolution and shallow depth of field. But with the shallow depth of field, it is difficult to focus on a still object, never mind a moving one. The 7D can film at 60fps. Which means I can shoot in slow motion. The 7D has a smaller chip size, therefore it will be easier to follow a moving subject. Both cameras can do time- lapse. I've been pressed for time but here is a link to a time - lapse test. I have a gadget to assist with this. There are other camera tests on this channel if you wish to check them out.
Lenses: I am taking a short zoom, long zoom, wide angle, and fast 50mm prime. Polarizers for filters (wish I had NDs)
Lighting: bed sheets, LED on-board light, scrap of reflector paper. (wish I had a bounce disc)
Sound: Zoom H4N, seinheiser shot gun mic, I hope to make a bamboo boom pole. (do they have bamboo in Africa?)
Old G3 Mac i-book. It took 40 min to download 4 minutes of video. Yes, I'm nervous.
Two 500 gig hard drives (if we get that far)
-extra batteries, and CF cards, follow focus, eyepiece
I would like to thank Jan Wolf for supplying much of the gear, Geoff Rogers for supplying the 7D and light. And Mirabelle Rohatgi for the computer. I am truly grateful to having such good friends.

Also thanks to Geoff for looking after our cat, snake, fish, geckos while we are gone.

Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Tammy to all. I hope you have fun, and travel safe! I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.
    Leta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys!!! Any news?!? we'd love to hear. been dreaming 'bout ya'll. nothing "new" here. kids keep telling everyone "uncle scottie's in africa!" gabriel asked me if africa was a country--we looked at the map together and he was like, "uncle scottie's there, cool".

    anyways, drop us a note if you can!

    xoxox us guys

    ReplyDelete